magazine, October 23, 1950
March 2, 1952 - WDRC vice president and chief engineer
Italo A. Martino died at the age
of 58. General manager Walter Haase
was elected vice president. On April 3, 11-year WDRC
veteran Henry M. Broderick Jr. was promoted to chief engineer.
14, 1952 - WDRC FM began carrying programs
from The New York Times' radio station, WQXR: "One
of the early FM pioneers, this Connecticut affiliate of CBS
is now carrying WQXR programs on its FM transmitter. While
this change has been welcomed by many listeners, others are
disappointed because WDRC-FM had picked WCBS-FM off the air
for rebroadcasting, providing full audio quality of CBS programs
originating in New York City. Now, while the station is rebroadcasting
signals from WQXR-FM, there is very little live-talent music."
- FM-TV, the Journal of Radio Communication,
October, 1952, p.6.
for 1952 article on WDRC/WQXR "binaural" demonstration
Charles Parker was promoted from
the program promotion department to account executive.
8, 1954 - WDRC studios moved to 869
Blue Hills Avenue in Bloomfield, site of the AM transmitter.
for enlargement | click
for page of photos of transmitter site
21, 1955 - WDRC FM call letters were changed to
WFMQ (Frequency Modulation Quality).
April 25, 1956 - Doolittle
sold $10,000 worth of WFMQ stock to T. Mitchell Hastings,
Jr. whose General Broadcasting Corporation originated classical
music programs on a chain of FM stations. Hastings later moved
the frequency to 105.9 and changed call letters to WHCN (Hartford
Concert Network). Still later, Doolittle bought back some
of the land on which WHCN's transmitter was located and applied
for a new FM license.
28, 1957 - Two WNEW (New York) executives
launched their company. (L-r:) John B. Jaeger and Richard
D. Buckley bought WHIM in Providence, RI for $830,000.
headline for details:
1, 1957 - To mark
the International Geophysical Year (July 1, 1957-December
31, 1958), WDRC gave away "Space Age News Maps"
published by Rand McNally (left). Note the imprint at the
bottom...only AM 1360 is listed because FM 102.9 was still
a year and a half away!
1958 - Charlie Parker
was promoted from account executive to production manager.
27, 1958 - Reflecting the public's growing interest
in frequency modulation, WDRC applied for a new FM
- WDRC began operating 24 hours a day, but it only
lasted for a year or two.
- Production manager Charlie Parker
assumed additional duties as promotion manager. The following
month he replaced Harvey Olson
as program manager when Olson was promoted to vice president
in charge of public relations.
1959 - Network affiliates around the country had
to make do with 20 less hours per week of CBS Radio Network
programming. The Hartford Times (January
2, 1959) quoted an unidentified station official as
saying, "Now we are facing the position of going out
and getting things done on what really amounts to an independent
basis." WDRC's local news department was immediately
19, 1959 - Franklin M. Doolittle stunned his staff
by announcing WDRC would be sold to former WNEW New
York executives Richard D. Buckley and John B. Jaeger.
15, 1959 - The FCC approved the sale of WDRC (and
an FM construction permit) to Buckley-Jaeger Broadcasting Corporation
of Connecticut for $815,000.
Buckley-Jaeger took over control of WDRC. Victor E. Forker of Darien,
a former WNEW account executive, was appointed general manager.
26, 1959 - The FCC granted WDRC FM program test
authority at 102.9 MHz and the station signed on. A dedicatory program
hosted by Victor Forker aired at 8:15 that Monday night, featuring
Connecticut Governor Abraham Ribicoff, Hartford Mayor Kinsella,
and the mayors of Meriden and Springfield.