© 1999-2023
Man From Mars Productions

Franklin M. Doolittle's signature
obg logo


audio - February 14, 1941 February 14, 1941 - Doolittle's FM took part in a unique radio relay test. Major Armstrong, speaking by telephone (from New York) to the Yankee Network studios in Boston, was fed to Yankee's W1XOJ transmitter at Paxton. The signal was relayed, by FM, to W1XER atop Mt. Washington...back to Paxton...on to W1XPW on Meriden Mountain...and on to Armstrong's W2XMN in Alpine. Engineers at each site spoke freely over the air with each other, without static. (note: this excerpt was recorded by W1XPW engineer John Denny at Meriden; he was recording the off-air signal of W1XOJ. The first voice is that of Major Armstrong, followed by Paul deMars of the Yankee Network.)

(photo l-r:) Major E.H. Armstrong and Franklin Doolittle in front of an REL Catalog #517 FM receiver
used at W1XPW for relay chain pickups on Meriden Mountain.

E.H. Armstrong and F.M. Doolittle

WDRC's Western Electric 630-A microphone

July, 1942 - Doolittle was appointed technical FM advisor to Board of War Communications in Washington, DC.

1944 - He was named technical advisor to the Defense Communications Board, Washington, DC. Doolittle and Walter B. Haase assumed co-general manager responsibilities of WDRC and W1XPW.

click for more photos of Western Electric microphone

April 3, 1944 - Doolittle purchased 68 acres atop Talcott Mountain in Farmington, CT, "as a site for a future television station and for other future radio purposes." He stressed TV would not be available on a broad scale immediately after the war, though frequency modulation would be in general use.

Click for more on Doolittle's unsuccessful TV efforts.

WDRC's Walter Haase and Franklin Doolittle compare new and old mics - December, 1950

1945 - Doolittle served on the CBS Affiliates Advisory Board.

December 7, 1952 - Doolittle applied for a television license (but ultimately it was awarded to another company).

August 18, 1958 - Doolittle fashioned an electronic announcer monitor. A tape recorder running at slow speed was hooked to the studio signal light and each time a microphone was live, the recorder ran. About six hours of programming could be stored on each reel.

July 15, 1959 - The FCC approved the sale of WDRC (and an FM construction permit) to Buckley-Jaeger Broadcasting Corporation of Connecticut for $815,000.

(photo l-r:) Walter B. Haase & Franklin M. Doolittle, December, 1950.

Winter, 1972 - During WDRC's 50th Anniversary celebration, news director Walt Dibble met with Doolittle for an interview about the station's early days. The founder was willing to share his recollections, but he refused to permit his voice to be put on tape!

March 4, 1979 - Franklin M. Doolittle died at Yale-New Haven Hospital at the age of 85.

For more detailed information about both of Doolittle's FM stations visit the History page.

WDRC founder Franklin M. Doolittle
Man From Mars site WPOP site return to top home