November 27, 1922 U.S. Radio Inspectors Walter Butterworth and Charles
A. Kolster signed off on an application by Doolittle Radio Corporation
to obtain a federal license for a Class A /Limited Commercial land
radio station. The applicant was Franklin Malcolm Doolittle, who
planned to operate the station from 817 Chapel Street in New Haven.
On December 2, the application was approved for a period of three
months by Julius Klein, Acting U.S. Secretary of Commerce, who oversaw
the Commissioner of Navigation. WPAJ was born! The original
license appears below.